You are here
Early Learning Readiness
Prepare your child for Pre-K and continued learning. The YMCA's Early Learning Readiness Program provides a stimulating environment for children ages 2-4 to play and learn while developing the physical, verbal, and social skills they'll need to start school ready to succeed.
Thanks to grant funding, the program is offered free of charge to the public and focuses on increasing the school readiness of young children in low-income families. In an informal setting with multiple play stations, adults will learn more about how children develop and how they can encourage learning and skill-building at home The program is geared toward families without access to other early learning opportunities.
What is Early Learning Readiness?
- Twice weekly classes for caregivers and children - 2 hours per class
- Instruction in English and Spanish
- FREE grant-based program for qualifying low-income families
- Open to children ages 2 to 4 years old & their adult caregivers - parent, aunt or uncle, older brother or sister, grandparent, neighbor, or nanny
- Three convenient locations throughout Austin (Lucy Read, Govalle, Houston)
- Registration for Fall 2017 program now open!
- Program Information Flyer (English & Spanish)
- Parent Handbook (en Español)
- To empower caregivers and parents of young children with the tools they need to help their children to achieve school readiness
- To help caregivers understand the important role they play in their child's development and school success
- To provide children ages 2-4 years old from low income communities an enriching learning environment
- Strengthen family and community bonds in class between the child and caregiver, between caregivers, and between caregivers and facilitators
Families must have proven financial need and live in Travis county to qualify. Call (512) 236-9622 to enroll.
Enrollment for Fall 2017 NOW OPEN.
September 5th for Guerrero-Thompson Elementary
September 6th at Lucy Read Pre-K and Houston Elementary
Testimonials from Families
- “I felt so alone in my teaching before I came here. The teachers helped me from the start understand other ways to teach and play.”
- “My son has become more interested in learning numbers, and he is more confident around other kids.”
- “I love that we do stuff that we would never have done at home, like making playdough, pinata, glue with pasta for example. I love that my daughter is in contact with other kids, it is a nice and smooth transition before going to school.”
Lucy Read Tues/Thurs 9-11am
Start Date – 9/5
Guerrero-Thompson Mon/Wed 9-11am
Start Date – 9/6
Houston Tues/Thurs 9-11am
Start Date – 9/5
Volunteer with the Y:
YMCA Early Learning Readiness is looking for volunteers both in the classroom and behind the scenes! Preference is given to volunteers who can commit to a semester of consistent volunteering and have or desire experience in the field of early childhood development and education. If interested in learning more please call (512) 236-9622 or email email@example.com.
- Austin ISD
- United Way
- Success by Six
- Literacy Coalition
- Any Baby Can
- Jerimiah Project
- Austin Public Library
- Austin Fire Department
Junior League of Austin