For Ages 4 to 12
The Y Youth Soccer program helps kids become not only better soccer players, but better people as well. It’s a progressive program, with multiple age-specific levels. Every child gets to play and the games are safe, exciting and fun. We encourage fair play, positive competition, teamwork, and family involvement.
Y Youth Sports focuses on character, sportsmanship, participation and fun! Basic skills are developed through games and activities. Children are encouraged to play at least one half of every game. Every game starts with a Youth Sports Pledge. All children are rewarded for season participation.
- Ages 4-12
- Financial assistance available
Find coach contact info, game times and practice schedules here.
Parents are encouraged to be more than mere spectators. In fact, parents are crucial to a successful sports season by contributing their time as volunteer coaches – as well as being their kid’s greatest fan. Learn more about volunteering as a youth sports coach here.
Practices are guaranteed to occur at or near your home location, but games are played at YMCAs throughout the YMCA of Austin Association based on registration numbers. YMCA leagues and divisions may be combined with those from other Ys to ensure participation for all.
Health and Wellness Procedures
- Coaches are required to wear masks when not able to social distance (at least 6 ft apart)
- Spectators and players are encouraged to wear masks when not able to social distance
- Coaches, players and spectators must bring their own water.
- Post game acknowledgements & celebrations will be touchless between teams.
Youth Sports Philosophy
The YMCA of Austin has a responsibility to our community to serve youth and their families through positive experiences that teach them the value of community togetherness.
YMCA of Austin youth sports will focus on the development of the whole child through age-appropriate & character-based curriculum, delivered in a judgement-free environment that allows participants to learn, develop, and be filled with joy.
These recreational youth development programs will produce memorable game-day experiences.
Through purposeful training of staff and volunteers, targeted marketing, and clear communication, the YMCA of Austin can fill the gap in our community and provide non-competitive youth sports leagues, so that young people may:
- Develop youth sports skills & grow into well-rounded athletes and people;
- Realize their potential as active, engaged, and thriving global thinkers;
- Participate in YMCA youth sports for three or more seasons and who will enroll in other Y youth programs.
- Discount Registration: Jan 17 – Feb 9
- Regular Registration: Feb 10 – Mar 10
- Limited Registration (LIMITED SPOTS) Mar 11 – Mar 26
Spring ‘23 SEASON DATES:
- Rosters and schedule available on Mar 20
- Soccer season runs April 3 – May 20
- First game: April 15
PRACTICES & GAMES:
- 4-5 divisions will practice for 20 minutes and play for 30 minutes on Saturdays.
- 6+ divisions will practice once per week for 1 hour.
- Practices days are generally M-F 4:30pm-8pm, Sunday 1pm-4pm
- Upon registration you can select what day you are unavailable for practice. This information is used when assigning players to team.
- Kinder Soccer does not practice during the week.
- Soccer (ages 6+) will practice for one-hour each week.
- All leagues are co-ed.
- Games are played within a one-hour period.
- Teams are coached by volunteers – who must pass background check, complete child sexual abuse prevention training, and attend pre-season coaches training.
- Jerseys are provided for each participant prior. Players may wear shorts or pants of any color, may wear cleats, and must wear shinguards. Long socks over the shinguards are required during all practices and games.
- Soccer ball sizes: Ages 4-7, size 3 & Ages 8-11, size 4
Coaches’ Corner: Info for Coaches
Volunteers are crucial to the success of our program. Thank you very much for volunteering your time and talent to serve as Y youth sports volunteer coach.
- Soccer Practice Drills & Skills: 3-5 yr olds; 6-7 yr olds; 8-9 yr olds; 10-11 yr olds
- YMCA Youth Sports eLearning
- YMCA of the USA Coaching Youth Soccer
- Positive Coaching Alliance Development Zone Resource Center
- USA Soccer Coaching Resources
- US Soccer Learning Center Coaching License Pathway>
Visit our volunteer training page for details and requirements to become a coach for YMCA of Austin sports leagues.
Inclement Weather Guidelines
Below are the inclement weather guidelines for YMCA of Austin youth baseball. These are relevant for games and practices.
- If any outdoor field has standing water, then games will be canceled.
- YMCA game and practice lead staff will use the Weather Bug app to monitor inclement weather, including lightning in the area. In the event of a lightning/thunderstorm, procedures have been established for all outdoor youth sports and recreational activities to ensure the utmost safety for all of our participants. At the first sound of thunder, participants will be cleared from the playing field to a shelter or to their cars. The game will be suspended for thirty (30) minutes from the last sound of thunder before resuming play. Site supervisors and referees will notify all participants when it is safe to resume play or if the games have been canceled for the day due to the weather.
- Heat weather guidelines must be followed. Coaches should enforce this policy during practices and games.
Parent Notifications for Canceled Games:
- If games start the second half before being canceled, then the game’s result will stand as determined by the score at the time of cancellation. If the game is canceled during the first half, then the game will be made up, if possible.
- If games are canceled, a Playerspace notification will be sent out via email and text, to the contact information provided at registration, two hours prior (if possible). Coaches are also encouraged to notify their teams.
Please contact your local YMCA for Youth Sports Inquiries
- Northwest Family YMCA – 512.335.9622
- East Communities YMCA – 512.933.9622
- TownLake YMCA – 512.542.9622
- Southwest Family YMCA – 512.891.9622
- Hays Communities YMCA – 512.523.0099
- Springs Family YMCA – 512.894.3309
0 programs meet your criteria
Do you want to register for this session only, or for multiple sessions of this program at this location?
“Soccer is so popular, and some central Texas leagues can get very competitive. The pace of soccer league at the Y is gentler and focuses more on skills than on competition.”
– Melanie C.