Ages 4 to 14
Hit the hardwood with the folks who invented the game – the Y! The Youth Basketball program is open to kids starting at age 4, with programs and leagues running year-round. Every child will participate in every game and receive equal playing time, regardless of skill level.
Y Youth Sports encourage and promote healthy kids, families and communities by placing a priority on family involvement, healthy competition rather than rivalry, the value of participation over winning, team-building as well as individual development, a positive self-image and a sense of fair play and mutual respect for others. Parents are encouraged to be more than mere spectators, by contributing their time as volunteer coaches – as well as being their kid’s greatest fan.
FOCUS: Participation and fun! Basic skills of the game are developed through games and activities. Every child is required to play at least one half of every game. Sportsmanship and values are key components of this league. Every game starts with a Youth Sports Pledge and ends with a touchless handshake. Every child receives an award at the end of the season!
- Ages 4-14
- Financial assistance available
PROGRAM OFFERINGS: Summer & Winter
Find coach contact info, game times and practice schedules.
Parents are encouraged to be more than mere spectators. In fact, parents are crucial to a successful sports season by contributing their time as volunteer coaches – as well as being their kid’s greatest fan. Learn more about volunteering as a youth sports coach.
Youth Basketball Rules and Guidelines
Registration & Season Dates
- Discount Registration: Feb 27 – Mar 12 (Past participants only)
- Early Registration: Mar 13 – April 9
- Regular Registration: Apr 10 – Apr 30
- Limited Registration (LIMITED SPOTS) May 1 – May 19
Summer ‘23 SEASON DATES:
- Youth Basketball (ages 4-14) season dates: May 27 – July 29 (7 Weeks)
- Clinic: May 27 and Practice May 29.
- First Game: June 10 (No games July 1st)
- 4-5 divisions will practice for 20 minutes and play for 30 minutes on Saturdays.
- 6+ divisions will practice once per week for 1 hour.
- Practices days are generally M-F 4:30pm-8pm, Sunday 1pm-4pm
- Upon registration you can select what day you are unavailable for practice. This information is used when assigning players to team.
Practices are guaranteed to occur at or near your home location, but games are played at YMCAs throughout the YMCA of Austin Association based on registration numbers. YMCA leagues and divisions may be combined with those from other Ys to ensure participation for all.
- Other schools near YMCA facilities
- Hays Communities Y
- Springs Y
- Southwest Y
- Northwest Y
- TownLake Y
- East Communities Y
Health and Wellness Procedures
- Coaches and spectators, who are not vaccinated, are encouraged to wear masks at all times.
- Spectators must maintain social distancing at all times.
- Coaches, players and spectators must bring their own water.
- Post game acknowledgements & celebrations will be touchless between teams.
- Kinder Hoops (4 & 5 yr olds) does not practice during the week.
- Basketball (ages 6+) will practice for one-hour each week.
- Games are played within a one-hour period.
- Teams are coached by volunteers – who must pass background check, complete child sexual abuse prevention training, and attend pre-season coaches training.
- Jerseys are provided for each participant prior. Players may wear shorts or pants of any color and close-toed shoes.
- Basketball sizes: Ages 4-7 27.5 inches; Ages 8-11 28.5 inches; Ages 12+ 29.5 inches
- Rim Heights: Ages 4&5 6 ft; Ages 6&7 8 ft; Ages 8&9 9ft; Ages 10+ 10 ft
Coaches’ Corner: Info for Coaches
Volunteers are crucial to the success of our program. Thank you very much for volunteering your time and talent to serve as Y youth sports volunteer coach.
- Basketball Coaches Manual
- YMCA Youth Sports eLearning
- YMCA of the USA Coaching Youth Basketball
- Positive Coaching Alliance Development Zone Resource Center
- How to Coach Kids Basketball Resources
- Jr. NBA Rookie Curriculum
- Jr. NBA Starter Curriculum
Visit our volunteer training page for details and requirements to become a coach for YMCA of Austin sports leagues.
Youth Sports Philosophy
The YMCA of Austin has a responsibility to our community to serve youth and their families through positive experiences that teach them the value of community togetherness.
YMCA of Austin youth sports will focus on the development of the whole child through age-appropriate & character-based curriculum, delivered in a judgement-free environment that allows participants to learn, develop, and be filled with joy.
These recreational youth development programs will produce memorable game-day experiences.
Through purposeful training of staff and volunteers, targeted marketing, and clear communication, the YMCA of Austin can fill the gap in our community and provide non-competitive youth sports leagues, so that young people may:
- Develop youth sports skills & grow into well-rounded athletes and people;
- Realize their potential as active, engaged, and thriving global thinkers;
- Participate in YMCA youth sports for three or more seasons and who will enroll in other Y youth programs
Please contact your local YMCA for Youth Sports Inquiries
- Northwest Family YMCA – 512.335.9622
- East Communities YMCA – 512.933.9622
- TownLake YMCA – 512.542.9622
- Southwest Family YMCA – 512.891.9622
- Hays Communities YMCA – 512.523.0099
- Springs Family YMCA – 512.894.3309
0 programs meet your criteria
Do you want to register for this session only, or for multiple sessions of this program at this location?
“My kids have played basketball at the Y since they were little, and not only are they confident on the court, they’re also better at meeting new people.”
– Thomas N.