You are here
Youth Nutrition and Fitness
At the Y, we care about your holistic health and what you eat is just as important as your physical fitness. We want to help instill helathy eating habits in all ages through fun and engaging activites centered on nutrition and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- Kids Dance Fit (Ages 4-11)
- Learn MoreKids Dance Fit is a dance fitness class designed just for kids! This program features age-appropriate music and moves that get kids movin' to the beat. It's all about feeling fearless on the dance floor, reinforcing the idea that it's okay to just be yourself and dance like no one's watching! Ages 4-11 Registration is NOT required. Class is FREE to members; $5/class for non-members.
- Little Chef & Junior Chef - Bastrop Y
- During this fun, hands-on cooking program, a local chef will teach kids about the importance of the proper nutrition and then show them how to make a nutritious snack! Your little chef will then get to enjoy their creation and then make a craft about what they have learned! This program is offered on the second Wednesday of every month.
- Little Chefs (Ages 3-5)
- Junior Chefs (Ages 6-10)
- Y + Fit (12+ Years): Y+Fit workouts incorporate multiple different exercises and workout programs in one intense workout. Combining plyometrics, powerlifting, SAQ drills, and interval cardio training into one hour long session, Y+Fit will help push your workouts to the next level. 3 weeks, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 7:45am-8:45am
Value Added Programs (registration through child-watch):
Y Adaptive Sports (6 years &up): This class is designed to teach kids and teens basics of sports through the experience of using a wheelchair. We will have kids participate in activities, sports games and team building exercises. Older teens may participate, through leadership roles. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Y Play Fit (3 - 7 years): Imagination, fitness, and fun! We’ll play games and have fun while staying active.
Fee Based Programs(registration required):
Junior Chefs (5 -13 years): An intro to cooking with fun and easy recipes. Kids get hands on experience creating healthy dishes and trying new things!
It’s More Than Yoga! (6 – 13 years): Join us for a class that focuses on yoga practice and education. Great for homeschoolers/non-traditional schoolers. Drop-ins welcome!
Family Fitness Hours – Designed for 8-11 year olds to accompany their parents in the fitness center and workout under the direct supervision of their parents. Family fitness hours are the only time 8-11 year olds are allowed in the fitness center (except for Youth Fit). Tuesday/Thursday 11am-1pm, Saturday 3pm-6pm, Sunday 2pm-5pm
Youth Fit - Incorporates a warm-up along with body weight exercises. The class will also develop youth agility, balance and coordination. Youth Fit will finish with some stretches and yoga poses to increase flexibility. 8 – 11 years. Class meets in Group X Room B. Tuesday and Thursday from 4:30-5:10pm. Drop-in class.
Family Yoga – Saturday 9:30-10:15am
Family Dance – Friday 6:15-7:15pm
Value Added Youth Programming
- We’ve consolidated our youth programs - Join us during a Hangtime session packed with healthy play, nutritional education, and interactive games. See our mobile app for details on sessions throughout the day.
- FAST (Fit Adolescent Safely Training): F.A.S.T. teaches youth and teens (ages 12-15) how to work out safely and effectively within the Y Fitness Center. It introduces basic muscle anatomy, exercise concepts and guidelines, gym etiquette and safety practices. Learn more here!
Personal Training for Teens
We offer individual one-on-one personal training for teen members, ages 12-17 years old. A trainer can help improve endurance and stamina, overall physical fitness and/or help you cross train to improve in whatever sport you play.
What are the steps to get started?
- Sign up for a FREE consultation at the Welcome Center or click here during a time that you would normally want to work with a trainer.
- Bring your parent/guardian with you to the consultation so they can sign the youth waiver and Personal Training Agreement, if you decide training is right for you.
- Make a commitment to meet with your trainer on a weekly basis with or without your parent present.
Youth members under the age of 11 interested in training should contact the Health & Wellness Director (Renee.Deeter@AustinYMCA.org) to discuss options appropriate for our younger members.
Healthy Me (ages 3-5): In this 45 minutes class children will learn about making healthy choices and living a healthy lifestyle. Through games, songs, exercise and some cooking children will learn to develop healthy habits.
- VALUE ADDED:
- (No registration required).
Have a blast as you stay active playing CATCH® games.
- Days/Times: Wednesdays, 6:45-7:15pm
- Ages: 7-12
- Location: Child Watch break out program
- Y Adaptive Sports:
- This class is designed to teach kids and teens basics of sports through the experience of using a wheelchair. We will have kids participate in activities, sports games and team building exercises. All kids of all abilities are welcome.
- Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Ages: 6-12 (Older teens may participate, through leadership roles.)
- Days/Times: Monday 5:15-6:15pm
- Location: Gymnasium
- Y Yoga:
- Kids will unite the mind, body and spirit while having a fun yoga practice and freedom to express themselves creatively through music, dance.
- Ages: 3-10 years
- Days/Times: Tuesdays 5-5:45pm
- Location: Mind & Body Studio