You are here
Take A Stand. Be a leader. Be a lifeguard. Successfully complete one of our upcoming lifeguard courses and we'll have a job for you!
A lifeguard develops the skills everyone needs but few achieve; leadership, teamwork and self-confidence. When you choose to become a lifeguard you are taking a stand to be a lifesaver, to protect others, and to serve your community. Take a Stand. Register today for Lifeguard Training. Develop the skills you will need to succeed, gain personal and professional confidence, and even advance into an aquatics career.
Whether you are looking for a great summer job or career as a professional lifeguard, the YMCA of Austin Lifeguard program is the place to begin! Through classroom activities, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn the skills you need to work as a lifeguard.
- YMCA Lifeguard Training: This certification course gives participants the skills and knowledge needed to become certified life guards. It offers up-to-date information on how to anticipate and prevent problems and how to take action to help those in danger. It also covers safety and survival skills every swimmer needs to know, accident prevention, guarding techniques, emergency systems, rescue skills and first aid in aquatic environments. Complete attendance is required and all e-learnings must be completed before the in-class portion of training.
- Red Cross Lifeguard Training: This course will certify participants in the latest updated version of American Red Cross Lifeguarding for indoor and outdoor pools. Upon successful completion, participants will recieve certifications in Red Cross Lifeguarding & First Aid, CPR/ AED for the Professional Rescuer r.17. Participants must be 15 years of age on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- YMCA Crossover Training: This course is designed for participants needing to cross over to Y lifeguard from any other accredited lifeguard certification. Provides the participants with the knowledge and skills needed to be a lifeguard and professional rescuer. Participants will be certified in CPR Pro for the Professional Rescuer, Basic First Aid for the Community and Emergency Oxygen Administration as well as YMCA Lifeguarding. This will be a blended learning course. Blended learning means that there are going to be online "eLearning" assignments which all participants are required to complete prior to the start date of the course.
- ASHI Basic First Aid for the Community: ASHI Basic First Aid was created to help students develop basic first aid knowledge, skills, and the confidence to respond.
- ASHI Basic CPR and First Aid: ASHI CPR and AED is designed specifically for laypeople and is an excellent choice for both the community and workplace setting. This extremely flexible program will help prepare people to respond to a cardiac arrest and choking.