You are here
New Inclusive Playground Coming to Southwest YMCA!
The YMCA of Austin - Southwest Branch was recently awarded a generous grant from Target for the development of an accessible playscape through a partnership with KaBOOM!, a nationwide non-profit whose mission is to ensure that all kids get a childhood filled with the balanced and active play needed to thrive.
The Y is committed to nurturing the potential of every child by supporting their unique development journey. Through our collaboration with KaBOOM!, we are planning a fully accessible playground, including play features and ramps so even children with wheelchairs, walkers or low muscle tone can play with their peers. Our goal for the new playscape is to provide a safe, fun environment for all children, regardless of their abilities. This one-of-a-kind playscape will be unique to the South Austin area, filling the need for more adaptive spaces in the community.
This playscape will be used year-round, both by YMCA members, participants in programs including Camp In Motion, respite days, and our many family and community-wide events.
We need your help to make this inclusive playground experience possible:
- We are seeking donations to install a playground surface that will allow kids of all abilities to play around the playground. The YMCA of Austin is a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit , and all donations are tax deductible. Donate Below!
- We need more than 75 volunteers from the community to help us on May 24th when we install the playground. Sign up to Volunteer.
We need you to bring play to kids at the Southwest Family YMCA!
- Volunteers should be age 18+ and will assemble playground pieces, mix concrete, move mulch, etc.
- Wear comfortable clothes you don’t mind getting dirty and closed toe shoes; leave valuables at home.
- Gloves, goggles, breakfast, and lunch and music will be provided.
Play is central to a child’s ability to grow into a productive adult. Together, we can ensure kids get the balance of play they need to thrive! Please join us and show that play matters to you.