You are here
Enrichment and Community Building
Our enrichment and community building programs build up the skills and confidence of participants, and stimulates your mind with your passions and interests. We have programs for all ages and experience levels.
- Little Chef/ Jr. Chef: During this fun, hands-on cooking program, a local chef will teach kids about the importance of the proper nutrition and then show them how to make a nutritious snack! Your little chef will then get to enjoy their creation and then make a craft about what they have learned! This program is offered on the second Wednesday of every month.
- Class is held at the Kerr Center 1308 Walnut St. Bastrop, TX 78602
- Ages 3-5 & 6-10
American Sign Language: This is a six week course that will meet once a week on Tuesdays from 4:30-5:30. Each class will introduce new signs and introduce a piece of deaf culture.The students will be given handouts and resources to practice at home. Some of the things they will learn include the alphabet and numbers 1-9, sign names, Common phrases, grammar, time signs, the history of sign language, place signs, deaf education, people signs, strange deaf medical treatments, songs, and games.
- Class is held at the Bastrop YMCA at 1112 Main St. Bastrop, TX 78602
- Ages 5-12
Fee Based Programs(registration required):
Junior Chefs (5 – 13 years): An intro to cooking with fun and easy recipes. Kids get hands on experience creating healthy dishes and trying new things!
- Adaptive Sports: Designed to teach kids and teens basics of sports through the experience of using a wheelchair. Kids will participate in activities, sports games and team building exercises. Older teens may participate, through leadership roles.
- Y Volunteers: Cultivate the young philanthropist in you. We'll challenge one another to find projects to work on that strengthen our community together. Participants will be eligible to begin volunteering individually at 10 years old.
Science Fun (ages 4-7): In this class children will explore, discover, experiment and learn basic science concepts. Science Fun lessons will incorporate simple science activities, fun experiments, stories and more. Each class is a hands-on learning experience and will captivate your child's curious mind.
Pre-K Prep (ages 3-5): In this class children will be explore colors, numbers and letters through manipulative materials, songs, games and arts and crafts. Basic preschool skills will be taught including listening, scissor and writing skills as well as the beginning of alphabet and number recognition.
Mi Mundo Spanish Immersion Program (ages 3-5): This immersion style Spanish enrichment program will be a great opportunity for children to learn, maintain or improve their Spanish. Through instructional and interactive activities, games, songs, stories and crafts students will learn vocabulary and communication skills while they find out how much fun learning a second language can be! Our classes and activities are conducted in Spanish; children will easily be able to acquire an understanding of Spanish.
- Mi Mundo:
- This immersion style Spanish enrichment program is a great opportunity for children to learn, maintain or improve their Spanish. Through instructional and interactive activities, games, songs, stories and crafts students will learn vocabulary and communication skills while they find out how much fun learning a second language can be!
- Ages: 3-5 years
- Days/Times: Mondays and Wednesdays from 9am to 12pm
- Registration: $180/Members and $230/Nonmembers (registration is monthly)
- LEARN MORE