You are here
YOUR COMPLETE GUIDE TO WINTER ADULT PROGRAMMING
At the Y, we have so many different options for you to choose from when it comes to healthy programming. From registration-based classes like swim lessons and Zero to 10k training to value-added options like BodyPump and AquaYoga, there’s something for everyone. We worked hard to bring all of those options to one central space for you to use as a resource in the coming months. Check out what’s coming your way, and start signing up for your favorites today!
Health & Wellness:
- Y Active: Our wellness orientation program – Y Active – supports your health by offering a menu of options to not only help you become comfortable with your YMCA branch, but to also map out an achievable path towards your goals. We seek to give you the tools you need to build a healthy, happy and active lifestyle, and we are always right beside you on the journey – cheering and celebrating your accomplishments. Y Active is composed of a customizable menu of options that our wellness staff can help tailor to your needs. Menu options include a cardio fitness equipment orientation, strength fitness equipment orientation, and Body Age® fitness assessment, Personal Training Consultation or FAST (for ages 12-15). For more information, contact David Lattanzi at David.Lattanzi@AustinYMCA.org.
- F.A.S.T.: F.A.S.T. teaches youth and teens (ages 12-15) how to work out safely and effectively within the Y Fitness Center. It introduces basic muscle anatomy, exercise concepts and guidelines, gym etiquette and safety practices. Once youth have successfully completed F.A.S.T. program, they will be able to work out in Fitness Center without parental supervision. The program includes a home study with video, on-line written exam and in-person practical exam.
- Tae Kwon Do Belt Test – Free Day: This is an opportunity for new participants to try Tae Kwon Do for a day, or current participants to take a proficiency test to move to the next belt level. Korean Karate is the highly effective art of unarmed combat. It is a self-defense system involving the skilled application of punches, blocks, and kicks with the hands and feet. In addition to the fighting skills involved, there is a strong emphasis on mental discipline and self-restraint to avoid combat that is not absolutely necessary. (A $65 fee is charged if the student passes a proficiency test. The fee includes the test and new belt.)
- Program dates: Third Saturday of each month from 2-3pm in Group Exercise Studio.
- January 21
- February 18
- March – no class due to Spring Break
- April 15
- May 20
- Program dates: Third Saturday of each month from 2-3pm in Group Exercise Studio.
- Group Ex Classes: We have over 130 FREE classes to help you achieve your health and wellness goals. If you’re looking to take that first step toward total health or simply exploring a new hobby, we definitely have a class you’ll love. Check out our live schedules on the website or on our YMCA of Austin mobile app!
- Zero to 10K: A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Do you want to participate in a 10K walk or run, but not sure how to take that first step? Finishing a 10K for the first time or after a long hiatus, can seem like a daunting task. This program helps you prepare for race day in a knowledgeable and encouraging environment, with others who are at a similar level of fitness as you. Designed for those that have never run a race or trying to get back into shape. Start with walking to being able to complete a 10K race in 10 weeks of training. Make new friends while being led by one of our experienced instructor trainers. Join the group to run a race of your choosing or the Cap 10K race in April (race entry fee not included). Cap 10K Race date: April 23, 2016. Ages 16+. For more information, contact Renee Deeter at Renee.Deeter@AustinYMCA.org. Class must meet 10 minimum participants and 25 maximum participants.
- Specialty Fitness – Barre Fit Conditioning: This program is a full body workout that fuses the best elements of ballet, Pilates, sports conditioning and stretching for a truly unique and fun experience. The moves are low impact but high intensity intervals of strength training followed immediately by deep recovery stretching. This regimented routine will evenly sculpt and quickly transform the entire body, resulting in a toned, trim physique. Ages 16+. Class must meet 4 minimum participants and 8 maximum participants.
- Specialty Fitness - Adult Boxing: The boxing program at the TownLake YMCA is a 10 round non-contact, high intensity gym workout that is open to all skill levels from rank beginners to amateur competitors. In each class you will work on specific combinations and foot work that you will then execute with the coach at the end of class. It's a fun and exciting way to burn calories, get in shape, and learn basic boxing fundamentals. Boxers are considered some of the fittest athletes on the planet. Come see what it's all about in a welcoming non-competitive environment. Ages 16+. Class must meet 10 minimum participants and 25 maximum participants.
- Specialty Fitness - Tae Kwon Do: Korean Karate is the highly effective art of unarmed combat. It is a self-defense system involving the skilled application of punches, blocks, and kicks with the hands and feet. In addition to the fighting skills involved, there is a strong emphasis on mental discipline and self-restraint to avoid combat that is not absolutely necessary. The class is organized as follows: Stretching, Basic Exercise, Forms, Free- Style Sparring (upper belts only and no contacts) and Three-step Hand and Foot techniques. Students will have the opportunity to take monthly proficiency tests and to move up in belt levels. (A $65 fee is charged if the student passes a proficiency test. The fee includes the test and new belt.). Ages 8+. Class must meet 8 minimum participants and 18 maximum participants.
- TRX® Suspension Training: Prepare for a unique training tool that allows you to use your own body weight and gravity as resistance. While simple in design, this tool allows you to combine and recreate entire body movements and motions that functionally engage your core and other major muscle groups involved in specific movements. TRX Suspension Training is great for those who want to develop lean muscle, build muscle, or lose weight. It is the perfect workout for any fitness level because each participant can adjust the difficulty of each exercise. The TRX® Suspension Trainer is the original, best-in-class workout system that leverages gravity and your bodyweight to perform hundreds of exercises. You're in control of how much you want to challenge yourself on each exercise, because you can simply adjust your body position to add or decrease resistance. Ages 16+. Class must meet 4 minimum participants and 7 maximum participants.
- Women with Weights: Develop the knowledge for strength training with other motivated women to get stronger, increase endurance and build friendships. This female-focused class will introduce you to the weight room and weight lifting-techniques that will build your confidence and help keep you accountable to meeting your own specific goals. Ages 16+. Class must meet 4 minimum participants and 6 maximum participants.
- Y + Fit: This program incorporates multiple varied exercises and workout programs in one intense workout. Each session will change and include variations of traditional strength training with dumbbells, resistance bands and kettlebells, body weight exercises, plyometrics, powerlifting, SAQ drills, interval cardio training and more. Y + Fit will help challenge you to increase your overall strength, agility, endurance and take your fitness health to a higher level. Ages 16+. Class must meet 4 minimum participants and 8 maximum participants.
- Personal Training: Training is for everyone. Training is for everyone that has ever had a dream. Yes, that’s a broad statement, but we are here to serve a broad population, and that starts with you. We mean it - you actually get to define what training looks like for you. We want you to have the power and flexibility to say, “Here is what I need.” To that, we will say, “Let’s do it!”. Training doesn't have to be a solo effort. We know that motivation sometimes comes with groups. You can surround yourself with others who are on a similar path to help keep you going. If you prefer, you can be a part of an incredible group experience by taking part in group training. Training starts with you, but it becomes something much bigger along the way. We have several training options. Small group training: Work with a small group of new or old friends that share your goals. Partner training: Develop a stronger relationship with a family member, friend, or another Y member while you work towards your goals together. Individual Personal training: Work with your trainer in a traditional one-on-one setting. Let us help you discover if a training program is the next step toward your goal. We offer free consultations for all members. Together, with one of our trainers, you’ll work on developing a program that you – and your goals – can say “yes!” to. Book your consultation today!
- Nutrition Counseling: Meet with our nutritionist, Maria Bohland, to review the quality of your diet, eating, and lifestyle habits. You will begin to develop the knowledge and skills you need to build a healthy foundation and collaborate with our nutritionist to create an individualized nutrition plan.
- Boot Camp Package: Ideal for someone that wants knowledge to get that started down the right path or lose 5-10 pounds. Includes an initial 60-minute consultation with two 30-minute follow up sessions. Set up by appointment after registration.
- Weight Loss/Management Package: Ideal for someone that wants knowledge to get that started down the right path or lose 10-40 pounds. Includes an initial 60-minute consultation with six 30-minute follow up sessions every other week. Set up by appointment after registration.
- Yoga Workshops: Extended workshops with one of our yoga experts to help you grow and deepen your yoga practice in different ways. Each workshop will include practical knowledge along with the practice time. For general inquiries, contact Shawn at Shawn.Bolton@AustinYMCA.org. Workshops will take place on the fourth Saturday of each month from 3-5pm in the Yoga Studio and cost $25 per person.
- January 21 | Instructor: Brock Roser | Topic: Pranayama and Meditation
- Focusing on Raja Yoga as taught in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. The intention of Raja Yoga is to develop a clear and focused mind in order to be able to perceive oneself and the world in a way that is free from ignorance and delusion, thereby eliminating craving, the root cause of all suffering. Learn some background about the 4 "paths" of yoga, Karma, Bhakti, Jnana, and Raja, and information about, and readings from the sutras, focusing on the "8 limbs" of yoga and detailing how asana is preparation for pranayama, which is preparation for meditation practice. Then participate in a gentle asana practice, including a couple of basic forms of pranayama, which would lead to a simple mindfulness of breath meditation practice. Register here!
- February 18 | Instructor: Scott Roskilly | Topic: Exploring Your Inner Warrior | Register!
The story of the warrior in yoga, represents our own humanity and natural tendency to react, sometimes ferociously, to everyday or not so everyday situations that trigger us into action. Perhaps the hardest part of our yogic path on or off the mat is to take action with compassion and integrity, and not just jump to an extreme reaction when something catches us by surprise. Come together this Saturday and we will explore the story of Virabhadra (The Great Warrior), the lessons and characters of the warrior story in Yoga, our own triggers and reactions, and of course a physical Vinyasa practice to explore the movements related to this character we so often take the shape of on our mat.
- March 25 | Instructor: Jogi Bhagat | Topic: Yoga for Stress Management | Register!
- April 22 | Instructor: Elizabeth Doss | Topic: Yoga and Core for Endurance Athletes | Register!
- A yoga and core workshop geared toward endurance athletes that explores core control and coordination, proper skeletal alignment, deep stretch of the major muscles, fascial release and breath techniques to improve mental focus and clarity.
- May 20 (third week due to Memorial Day) | Instructor: Erin Damm | Topic: Enhance Your Yoga: Prop YourSelf!
Have you ever been curious about all the props you see in the hallway: blocks, blankets, straps? Have you ever wondered what you are supposed to do with them? This practical, insightful, and fun workshop is designed to give you the opportunity to safely explore how to use yoga props to enrich your experience in any yoga class. Gain the courage and knowledge to pick the pros you want and to use them intelligently. Using props can increase body awareness, flexibility, alignment, depth of experience in a yoga pose and can help correct postural habits and prevent new ones from developing. ALL LEVELS are welcome!
June 17 | Instructor: Amelia Devivo | Topic: Art and Yoga | Registration will open closer to time under the tag 'Yoga'.
A holistic weaving together of mind-body-spirit through creativity and insight. We'll blend the use of mixed mediums (oil pastel, paint, and crayon) on paper or canvas with physical asana that produces both mindfulness and a beautiful piece of art. Emphasis on self-love, simple pleasures, and letting go in an increasingly complicated world. No artistic talent or yoga expertise is necessary.
- January 21 | Instructor: Brock Roser | Topic: Pranayama and Meditation
- We will begin hosting Women's pickup soccer on Tuesday nights from 8:30pm-10pm with monthly registration. The season will start on January 10th. Learn more and register today!
- Men’s Basketball League: For those looking for a departure from the high-stress, win-oriented club teams at other locations, the Y is offering community-based men’s basketball leagues emphasizing good sportsmanship and high energy. Whether you’re a member or not, this popular men’s league will be offering year-round play for those interested in shooting hoops with their friends in a semi-competitive atmosphere. Whether you are serious about your hoop game or you just enjoy passing the ball with your friends, this competitive league will give you a chance to keep both your mind and your body sharp, while also providing you a great way to meet new people. Register now!
- Season Dates: Winter season January 18th – March 9th; Spring season April 5th-May 24th; Summer season June 21st – August 9th; and, Fall season September 6th – October 26th. Three weeks between seasons.
Parent’s Night Out: We’ve got date night covered! Enjoy a kid-free evening while we provide a fun-packed night for your kiddos. Activities include arts and crafts, sports, games, and the ever-popular (and always G-rated) movie at the end of the night. Of course the pizza and snacks are on us! In order for this class to make, we must have a minimum of 10 participants and a maximum of 35 participants. Learn more, or Register now!
- Times | 4:30-9pm
- Dates | January 28, February 25, March 25, April 29, and May 2
- Expectations: Children must be three years old and up as well as potty-trained and emotionally ready to leave parents. Kids range in age from 3-12 years old. Parents must be available in the event that we need to reach out for any reason. Registration for Parents’ Night Out opened up December 1 and closes the day before each event.
Adventure Guides: Adventure Guides is a nationwide parent/child program designed for boys and girls ages 3-16. The Adventure guides experience enables parents and kids to have fun while sharing new, healthy, learning adventures. The program offers fun and creative activities each month including campouts, Indy car building, and volunteer opportunities. Ages 3+. For more information, contact Shawn Bolton, Shawn.Bolton@AustinYMCA.org. Learn more and register today!
- Camping Dates | November 11-13, February 24-26, March 24-26, April 21-23
Registration Note: January - March registration will open first. April and May registration should open on March 1st to members. Each month, non-members will be able to sign up the on the 15th prior to the lessons starting. No Classes on MLK Day, Presidents Day, AISD Spring Break, Easter Weekend, Memorial Day Weekend/Day.
Swim Lessons and Swim Team
- Terrified of Water (TOW) Swim Lessons (Ages 13+): This class is designed for the adult beginner that is timid about swimming or who has never swam in deep water. Class is self-paced, and will work on basics such as floating, treading water, kicking and basic paddle stroke. Instructors will help you work toward your own personal goal, and will guide in areas in which you want to improve. Learn more and register today!
- Beginner Swim Lessons (Ages 13+): This course is designed for beginners, so no previous swim experience is required. Participants must be comfortable with putting their face and head under the water. In this class, you will learn swimming fundamentals including but not limited to: floating, body position, breathing techniques, flutter kick and the freestyle swim stroke. Must be comfortable in the water and with getting head and face wet. Learn more and register today!
- Intermediate Swim Lessons (Ages 13+): This class is designed for participants that can swim at least 25 yards freestyle on their own.Participants must be comfortable with their face in the water and being in deep water. This course will focus on stroke technique to improve efficiency in the water as well introduce the basics of backstroke, breaststroke and butterfly. These lessons are ideal for those who would like to work towards a lap swimming exercise regimen. Class is for swimmers who can swim the length of the pool. Swimmers will refine freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke. Learn more and register today!
- Masters Swim Team: Join any of our adult swim team practices that you would like to attend, while being coached by some of the best aquatic leaders in Austin. Each workout will be structured to accommodate a wide variety of levels, and knowledge of all four strokes is not necessary to join. Swimmers should be comfortable swimming 2,000 yards per hour and have an understanding of how to use the time clock for intervals. Participants are encouraged to bring their own swim equipment, but some items are available for use through the YMCA’s pool equipment. Learn more and register today!
Miscellaneous Aquatics Programs
- AquaStretch (All Ages): This water fitness class restores mobility, decreases pain, and increases training efficiency. It helps with sports performance and enhances one’s general well-being. Sessions are held one on one with the instructor. For an appointment or more information, contact Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Private Swim Lessons (All Ages): Private and semi-private lessons are a great option for swimmers looking to catch up or get ahead. These lessons give you individualized attention to help improve or master swimming skills. You set the agenda by working with the instructor to determine goals. Curriculum is customized to meet these goals. Lessons are by appointment only. Contact our Aquatics Coordinator, Madison at Madison.Yeats@austinymca.org, for more information or to book your lesson today!
- Semi-Private Swim Lessons (All Ages): Private and semi-private lessons are a great option for swimmers looking to catch up or get ahead. These lessons give you individualized attention to help improve or master swimming skills. You set the agenda by working with the instructor to determine goals. Curriculum is customized to meet these goals. Lessons are by appointment only. Contact our Aquatics Coordinator, Madison at Madison.Yeats@ AustinYMCA.org, for more information or to book your lesson today!
- Beginner Synchronized Swimming (Ages 6-12): This class is for children who love swimming, dancing and gymnastics all rolled into one! Taught by the coaches and advanced swimmers of the Austin Angelfish Synchronized Swimming Team, your swimmer will learn basic synchronized swimming skills to introduce them to the world of Synchronized Swimming. To enroll in this class, the swimmer should be able to swim 100 yards of freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke and sidestroke. For more information, contact Cheryl at email@example.com.
- Women's Only Swim (All ages for females, and males 5 and under): Window coverings will be placed as needed. Registration is required before participation Payment is due at registration for non-members. All children must be supervised and within arm's reach of guardian at all times. Please note that our childcare facility will not yet be open during open swim. For more information, contact our Aquatics Director, Andrea at Andrea.Fisher@AustinYMCA.org.
Water Ex Classes (Value-Added)
- Aqua Yoga: Water based yoga class designed to enhance mobility, stretch muscles, increase flexibility, and connect body to mind. Minimum of 10 people per class. Check out our Water Ex classes on our mobile app or on our website for schedules and updates!
- Aqua Cardio Mix: Blast serious calories and discover endurance and increased range of motion. Class is held in shallow water. Check out our Water Ex classes on our mobile app or on our website for schedules and updates!
- Aqua Strong: Increase strength and power utilizing the resistance of the water, and specialized water dumb bells and equipment. Class is held in shallow water. Check out our Water Ex classes on our mobile app or on our website for schedules and updates!
- Deep Water Cardio: Blast serious calories and discover endurance and increased range of motion. Check out our Water Ex classes on our mobile app or on our website for schedules and updates!
- Range of Motion: This class is designed for seniors with physical limitations and is intended to improve range of motion, strength, flexibility and endurance. Check out our Water Ex classes on our mobile app or on our website for schedules and updates!
- Aqua Fit: This class provides a whole body workout using the resistance of the water for toning and increased flexibility. Aqua Fitness is self-paced and can be low-to-high impact, depending on your effort. Check out our Water Ex classes on our mobile app or on our website for schedules and updates!
- CPR and First Aid Skills: Gain the skills and knowledge you need to provide care and act in an emergency with training or certification in our community CPR and First Aid Classes. The TownLake Y proudly teaches the following skills in the American Safety Health Institute (ASHI):
- CPR & AED for the Community
- Basic First Aid for the Community
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers and Professional Rescuers (Formerly CPR PRO)
- Learn more and register today!
- American Red Cross Lifeguard: The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatics emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. Recertification courses offered! Learn more and register today!
- YMCA Lifeguard: Whether you are looking for a great summer job or career as a professional lifeguard, the YMCA of Austin Lifeguard program is the place to begin! Through classroom activities, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn the skills you need to work as a lifeguard. Cross Over and Recertification courses offered! Learn more and register today!