You are here
Welcoming Week 2019
Save the Date!
YMCA Welcoming Week 2019 is September 13-22, and we’d like you to join us in the celebration!
We believe our communities are stronger when everyone feels welcome and we work together for the common good. Created by YMCA of the USA’s national partner Welcoming America, Welcoming Week, which takes place each year in September, celebrates the growing movement of communities that fully embrace new Americans and their contributions to the social fabric of our country. It's a chance for neighbors—both immigrants and U.S.-born residents—to get to know one another and celebrate what unites us as a community!
We are excited to celebrate our multicultural YMCA community with a variety of activities during Welcoming Week.
You can see you're Y's Welcoming Week events here. Even more details about upcoming events and activities are on their way—stay tuned!
East Communities YMCA:
- 9/14: Multicultural and Inclusion Fair from 10am - 12pm at the Soccer Field
- 9/17: World Dance Party from 6:30-8:35pm in the Group Exercise Studio
- 9/22: Member Mingle and Potluck from 3:30-6pm in the Basketball Gym
- 9/23: Welcoming Week Bingo Card & Raffle Wrap-up
In addition, engaging activities are planned in our Child Watch, as well as interactive and information/resource tables will be set up in the lobby throughout Welcoming Week.
- 9/17: NEW Hip hop dance class for adults! 7:15pm in Group Exercise Studio.
- 9/18: NEW "See the World with the Y" presentation about upcoming group trip to Ireland in 2020. Come learn more! 10am in TownLake conference room.
- 9/20: Live Music and Multicultural Art Market in the lobby from 10am to 12pm
In addition, engaging activities and interactive tables will be in Child Watch and the lobby throughout the week.
Springs Family YMCA:
- 9/14: Community Picnic from 10am to 1pm. Inflatables, live music and more. Free to the community.
- 9/17: Member Potluck from 11am- 1pm. Share a traditional dish with us. Sign up at the Welcome Center desk.
Hays Communities YMCA:
- 9/13: Banners, Map Display, and Decorated Welcome Desk
- 9/18: Potluck 12pm to 1pm - Bring a dish that represents who you are and/or where you are from!
Northwest Family YMCA:
- 9/13-9/22: Daily Connection: Group Exercise Raffle
- 9/19 & 9/21: Dance into the Weekend (Extra entry into our week-long raffle).
We will also have a global map displayed at our Welcome Center to show how we are all conntected from around the world and Child Watch will have activities and crafts to teach our youth cultural awareness and inclusion.
COA/YMCA North Austin Community Reacreation Center:
- 9/16-9/20: Welcome Sign and Photo Shoot - Get in selfie mode and let everyone know via social media why you are Welcoming! Don't forget to use #WelcomeWeek.
- 9/17-9/20: Global Map will be displayed at Welcome Center to show how we are all connected using pins.
- 9/17: Around the World - Child Watch will take a trip around the world celebrating a different country throughout the week by making a cultural-oriented craft.
- 9/18: Music from Around the World - Music will be played at Welcome Center highlighting different countries and cultures.
- 9/20: Culture Cuisine - More information to come!
Other Branches: Info Coming Soon!
In the meantime, here’s a video from YUSA Welcoming Week that’ll give you a better look at what Welcoming Week stands for, and why we think it's so important.