You are here
Campfire Cooking: 3 Spins on S'mores
Ah, s’mores. The fireside favorite beloved by kids and grownups alike. Start with a square of chocolate and graham cracker, and sandwich between it a freshly toasted marshmallow. You really can’t go wrong.
But where you go from there is full of possibilities! In our continuing series on campfire cooking comes this installment bringing you three spins on the classic campfire treat.
In keeping with YMCA Camp Moody’s commitment to accessibility, these recipes are accessible in three ways:
- Financial – all ingredients are affordable and serve many people
- Geographic – all ingredients are readily available at most H-E-B stores
- Physical – only basic cooking skills and equipment are needed
- 1 box 14.4oz H-E-B Honey Grahams graham crackers
- 1 package 12oz Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows
- 3 bars 1.55oz Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Candy Bar
- For the Sweet & Salty S’more – 1 bag 1.13oz Lay’s Classic Potato Chips
- For the Sweet & Spicy S’more – ½ oz Ancho Chile powder
- For the Fluffernutter S’more – 1 Jar 18oz H-E-B Select Ingredients Texas Peanut Butter
Sweet & Salty S’more
In this first spin, place a square of chocolate atop half a graham cracker. Toast your marshmallow to your preferred degree of burnt, and slide it onto the waiting chocolate and graham.
Now, deviate from your traditional s’more by crunching up some thinly sliced potato chips and crumbling them into the marshmallow. You may find that the ooey-gooier the marshmallow, the better the chips adhere to your snack.
Top your s’more off with the other half of graham cracker, and enjoy!
Sweet & Spicy S’more
If you’re ready to take an adventurous spin on s’mores, you’ll want to try this sweet & spicy variety. Start with the traditional foundation of the s’more: place a square of chocolate atop half a graham cracker, and slide a freshly toasted marshmallow in place.
Sprinkle a pinch of ancho chile powder into the melted marshmallow for a delightful zing that is energizing and surprising! Sandwich your s’more with the other half of graham cracker. Mmmm! Brings the heat!
In this final spin on the classic, skip the chocolate and instead, slather half a graham cracker with your favorite peanut butter spread. Squish the toasted marshmallow into the peanut butter, and top it with the other half of graham cracker.
A Multicultural Holiday Reading List for the Whole Family
How to let kids help in the kitchen
Y Program Spotlight: Moving Stronger for People with MS
Meet the Y: Julie
Three Benefits to Exploring the Natural World
Meet the Y: Cindy
Observing Transgender Day of Remembrance on Nov. 20
Celebrating the Contributions of Veterans
Bedtime Books to Read This Fall
An important message about our YMCA Community Standards