You are here
Camp Cooking: Better Together Bars
‘Tis the season for potlucks and holiday parties. Celebrate the healthy way this year and be the potluck hero when you provide this nutritious alternative to the traditional fare. It’s easy to make, and the portions are scalable to feed many people or only a few. Your fellow partygoers will thank you for bringing this tasty treat!
- 1 Cup Dates – seeds removed
- 2 Cups Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 Cups Oats
- 1 Cup Peanuts
- 1 Cup Raisins
- Put dates, peanut butter, and oats into a food processor and pulse for 45 seconds. Consistency should be firm yet pliable.
- Empty contents of food processor onto a cookie sheet or cutting board lined with wax paper.
- Using your hands, press the mixture flat.
- Take the ends of the wax paper and fold at right angles, folding it over the mixture. Continue to press so that inside the wax paper, the mixture begins to form a rectangle.
- Unfold the wax paper. Sprinkle peanuts and raisins over the top of the mixture and press them in firmly.
- Use a knife to cut into individual bars.
- Pick up two and share one with a friend. They really are better together!
Some quick variations:
- Change up the nuts! Groceries have many varieties of nut butters to choose from that don’t require stirring. Try almond, cashew, or even sunflower seed butter!
- Same goes for the raisins. Dried cranberries are a festive and seasonal option!
Better Together Bars are delicious all year long, and they are the perfect make-ahead snack to fuel your outdoor adventures. Pack them in the next time you pitch your tent and hit the trail.
7 Things Every Texan Should Know About Juneteenth
Keeping Cool in Summertime Heat
100 Days of Summer Safety: Tips for Avoiding Mishaps All Season Long
2019 YMCA Gather 'Round Recap
Personal Training leads to the Adventure of a Lifetime
4 Rainy Day Activities for Toddlers
Meet the Y: Katie
Meet the Y: Alison Zacharias, Sports Director
Meet the Y: Juan Ybarra, Aquatics Director
Meet the Board: Lauren, Sharmila, Colette and Roberta