You are here
10 Free Family Activities for March
As the days warm up and get a little longer, March is a great time to get out and experience Austin as a family. Kids will enjoy this roundup of area events, and parents will love the price of admission!
1. Explore UT Day. This annual event invites the public to experience UT Austin in an up-close and personal way. With tons of demonstrations and hands-on activities across the campus, there’s something for everyone, at all ages. March 2, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
2. Free First Sunday. Each month, the Bullock Museum opens its doors with free admission and family-friendly, themed activities. To celebrate Texas’s birthday, the museum will explore symbols of the Lone Star State. March 3, noon to 5 p.m.
3. Cowboy Breakfast. One harbinger of spring you won’t want to miss is the free breakfast that announces Rodeo Austin is about to begin. This year’s event will serve up biscuits and gravy, sausage, pancakes, catfish, juice, coffee and more. At the Long Center, March 8, 6 a.m.
4. LEGO Play. Libraries throughout the greater Austin area will be hosting LEGO play parties this month. Here is a list of just a few: Round Rock Library, March 4 and 18; Pflugerville Library, March 5; Wells Branch Library, March 4, 11, 17, 18, and 25; Dripping Springs Library, March 16.
5. Literature Live presents Tiger Woman. From the book by Laurence Yep comes a puppet show based on a traditional Chinese story. This tale of greed teaches a lesson in generosity. Recommended for ages 5 and up. At Austin Public Library branches all over town. March 9, 13, 15, 20, 23, and 28.
6. Umlauf Family Day. Art takes center stage in the Umlauf Sculpture Garden’s monthly free family day. Kids and their parents can enjoy yoga, live music, story time and arts and crafts. March 10, noon to 4 p.m.
7. Rock + Read. Get your family-friendly groove on at this annual concert and reading party at the Domain. Between sets by children’s entertainers, local authors will read and sign their children’s books. March 16, 2 to 6 p.m.
8. Giant Games at Austin Central Library. The third floor atrium of the magnificent new Central Library will lay out giant versions of classic games like chess, Connect 4, Uno, checkers and card games. March 18 – 24, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.
9. Kite Festival. This Austin tradition in Zilker Park makes great use of the March winds. Bring your own kite or just feast your eyes as kites of all shapes and sizes take to the skies. Complementing the amazing sights, children’s artists take the stage with live music as part of MossFest. March 30, 10 to 5 p.m.
10. Texas Night Sky Festival. Look up and appreciate the beauty of the world above us with presentations, storytellers and telescopes for viewing. At the Dripping Springs Ranch Park and Event Center, March 30, noon to 11 p.m.
Austin Family Magazine offers a calendar online and in every issue.
Austin Family Magazine serves the greater Austin area with up-to-date information and ideas that promote smart parenting and healthy homes. Pick up the latest issue at any local HEB, Central Market, Whole Foods or visit austinfamily.com.
Sherida Mock is the editor of Austin Family Magazine.
2019 YMCA Gather 'Round Recap
Personal Training leads to the Adventure of a Lifetime
4 Rainy Day Activities for Toddlers
Meet the Y: Katie
Meet the Y: Alison Zacharias, Sports Director
Meet the Y: Juan Ybarra, Aquatics Director
Meet the Board: Lauren, Sharmila, Colette and Roberta
Supporting Our Friends & Neighbors This Ramadan
Thank you, Hill Country Middle School volunteers!
Celebrate With the Y!