You are here
Childhood Obesity Intervention
Healthy Choices = Healthy Families
Healthy Living Program
Healthy Families (HF) focuses on healthy eating, regular physical activity and behavior change to empower children to live a healthier and active lifestyle. At HF you’ll find a community that is learning just like you. We are here to support your family. We hope you will consider joining us as you continue your journey to lead a healthier and happier life.
- Take small steps today and see long-term change tomorrow
- Learn tips for healthier grocery shopping
- Learn fun ways to be active as a family
- 15-week program (adult and child)
- 4-month Family Membership to the YMCA of Austin included
For more information email Miriam Rodriguez or call 512.236.9622
Program requires monthly fees. Financial Assistance is available.
- YMCA Member: $40
- Non-Member: $50
Because of the money raised during our Annual Giving Campaign, we are able to make the Y accessible through our Financial Assistance Program. These gifts provide scholarships for individuals and families who want and need Y programs, but cannot afford them. If you'd like more information on how to apply for Financial Assistance for Healthy Families, please email Miriam Rodriguez or call 512.236.9622
- News 8 Austin December 12, 2009
- Austin American Statesman September 24, 2010
- Univision Radio (espanol) December 18, 2011
- KEYE TV October 2, 2012
- Univision October 18, 2012
- KAZI April 9, 2013
- Austin Family Magazine (page 22) August 2013
- FOX TV September 3, 2013
- Univision TV August 28, 2014
- Austin American Statesman / Ahora Si September 27, 2014
- KXAN January 29, 2015
- Time Warner Cable News May 19, 2015
- Austin American Statesman (Español) August 21, 2015
- Time Warner Cable News January 26, 2016
The Need: One in six children are obese and one in three are overweight, which poses greater risks for a number of health problems such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and mental health issues.
Based on the most widely disseminated and extensively evaluated child weight management program in the world, Healthy Families empowers 7-13-year-olds, with the support of their families, to reach a healthy weight and live a healthier lifestyle. Healthy Families engages the whole family, so together they can understand how the home environment and other factors influence the choices that lead to a healthy weight. The program emphasizes three elements: healthy eating, regular physical activity and behavior change.
The Outcome: Research on the program model has shown statistically significant reductions in body mass index (BMI), waist circumference, sedentary activities and improvements in physical activity and self-esteem at 6 months, also sustained at 12 months.
When are programs offered?
- February 2018
Flyers and Downloable Docments:
The St. David’s Foundation has supported the growth of the the YMCA of Austin Childhood Obesity Intervention program since its inception.