You are here
Childhood Obesity Intervention
Healthy Choices = Healthy Families
Healthy Living Program
Healthy Weight and Your Child
Healthy Weight and Your Child Program (HWYC) focuses on healthy eating, regular physical activity and behavior change to empower children to live a healthier and active lifestyle. At HWYC you’ll find a community that is learning just like you. We are here to support your family. We hope you will consider joining us as you continue your journey to lead a healthier and happier life.
- Take small steps today and see long-term change tomorrow
- Learn tips for healthier grocery shopping
- Learn fun ways to be active as a family
- 15-week program (adult and child)
- 4-month Family Membership to the YMCA of Austin included
For more information email Miriam Rodriguez or call 512.236.9622
Program requires monthly fees. Financial Assistance is available.
- YMCA Member: $40
- Non-Member: $50
Because of the money raised during our Annual Giving Campaign, we are able to make the Y accessible through our Financial Assistance Program. These gifts provide scholarships for individuals and families who want and need Y programs, but cannot afford them. If you'd like more information on how to apply for Financial Assistance for Healthy Weight and Your Child, please email Miriam Rodriguez or call 512.236.9622
- News 8 Austin December 12, 2009
- Austin American Statesman September 24, 2010
- Univision Radio (espanol) December 18, 2011
- KEYE TV October 2, 2012
- Univision October 18, 2012
- KAZI April 9, 2013
- Austin Family Magazine (page 22) August 2013
- FOX TV September 3, 2013
- Univision TV August 28, 2014
- Austin American Statesman / Ahora Si September 27, 2014
- KXAN January 29, 2015
- Time Warner Cable News May 19, 2015
- Austin American Statesman (Español) August 21, 2015
- Time Warner Cable News January 26, 2016
Healthy Weight and Your Child.
The Need: One in six children are obese and one in three are overweight, which poses greater risks for a number of health problems such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and mental health issues.
Based on the most widely disseminated and extensively evaluated child weight management program in the world, Healthy Weight and Your Child empowers 7-13-year-olds, with the support of their families, to reach a healthy weight and live a healthier lifestyle. Healthy Weight and Your Child engages the whole family, so together they can understand how the home environment and other factors influence the choices that lead to a healthy weight. The program emphasizes three elements: healthy eating, regular physical activity and behavior change.
The Outcome: Research on the program model has shown statistically significant reductions in body mass index (BMI), waist circumference, sedentary activities and improvements in physical activity and self-esteem at 6 months, also sustained at 12 months.
When are programs offered?
- September 2017
Flyers and Downloable Docments:
The St. David’s Foundation has supported the growth of the the YMCA of Austin Childhood Obesity Intervention program since its inception.