- Program Search
- Adult Sports & Youth Sports
- Adventure Guides
- Afterschool Care
- Child Care & Early Learning
- Dance Classes
- Health & Wellness
- Lifeguard Certification
- Martial Arts
- Personal Training
- Senior Programs
- Swimming - Aquatics for Adults
- Swimming - Aquatics for Youth
- Teen Programs
- Triathlon Training
- Youth Programs
- About Us
YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program helps those at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a modest amount of weight in order to reduce their chances of developing the disease. This is a 12-month program consisting of 16 core session s followed by monthly maintenance sessions.
All program participants receive a FREE individual membership to the YMCA of Austin during the core sessions of the program.
* New program begins May 29th, 2013 *
Based on research led by the National Institutes of Health, the YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58%.
- Reduce body weight by 7%
- Gradually increase physical activity to at least 150 minutes per week
CAN I PARTICIPATE?
To qualify for the program, individuals must be overweight and at high risk for developing diabetes or overweight and have been diagnosed by a physician as someone with prediabetes.
AM I AT RISK?
Your doctor can tell you if you are at risk. He/She can can determine this through a blood test with one of the following results:
- Fasting plasma glucose between 100-125 mg/dL
- HbA1c between 5.7% and 6.4%
- Random or casual blood glucose level of 240-199 mg/dL or higher
- A combination of risk factors such as family history, overweight, gestational diabetes, elevated cholesterol, etc., may also put you at high risk
- Qualifying factors for joining the program are being at least 18 years of age and having a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 25 or more
The participant will then need to have two of the following seven conditions:
- High Cholesterol
- High Blood Pressure
- Being physically active 2 or less days per week
- Being diagnosed with prediabetes by a physician
- Having had gestational diabetes or having had a baby weighing more than nine pounds at birth
- Being 45 years of age or older
- Having a parent or sibling who is/was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes
DATE: Next program begins May 29th 2013
LOCATION: TownLake YMCA
COST: $180 - financial assistance is available
For more program or financial assistance information, contact Mashariki Cannon, Director of Healthy Living at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 512-542-9622.