You are here
Mind, Exercise, Nutrition, Do It! - MEND
ALL MEND classes for Saturday, February 28th have been cancelled due to inclement weather. Staff will communicate make up days. Please stay safe and warm.
MEND is a fun, family-focused, free 10-week program that demonstrates new ways to be healthy and helps families support their kids, ages 7-13, to reach a healthy weight.
Healthy Family, Happy Family. Gain energy & confidence while learning how healthy meals fuel a healthy, happy and productive life. Program is FREE and open to the public.
Take the first step toward a happier, healthier family. Register today! Call 512-236-9622 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A healthy family is a happier family.
- Healthy kids perform better in school.
- Healthy meals fuel a healthy and productive life.
- More energy, more confidence -- these are the freedoms good health brings.
The YMCA of Austin is the first YMCA in the country to partner with MEND (Mind, Exercise, Nutrition, Do It! in offering a childhood obesity intervention program for children and their parents.
Through generous grants from St. David's Foundation, the YMCA will be offering programs over the next year at six different locations, including YMCA of Austin and community locations. Each program lasts 10 weeks and meets twice per week, typically a weekday evening and Saturday morning. Parents must attend with their child.
MEND combines 3 key elements of safe, effective weight management and sustained lifestyle change:
- Healthy eating
- Regular physical activity
- Behavior change.
Children and families who attend the MEND Program learn important skills and knowledge to help them manage their weight and feel fitter, healthier, and happier for the rest of their lives.
Children must be ages 7-13, overweight or obese, and may not be suffering from diabetes or debilitating asthma. Physician consent must be granted before program participation. One parent must be able to participate with their child in each session. Call Program Services, 512-236-9622, to enroll. Take the first step as a family and begin learning how to lead a healthy lifestyle!
- Guerrero-Thompson Elem (español)
- North Austin YMCA (English)
- Langford Elementary (español)
- Langford Elementary (English)
- Science Hall Elementary (español)
- East Communities YMCA (español)
- Be a MEND Food Detective
- 10 Tips for a Happy, Healthy, Active Family
- MEND Survival Guide for Parties & Eating Out
- News 8 Austin December 12, 2009
- Austin American Statesman September 24, 2010
- Univision Radio (espanol) December 18, 2011
- KEYE TV October 2, 2012
- Univision October 18, 2012
- KAZI April 9, 2013
- Austin Family Magazine (page 22) August 2013
- FOX TV September 3, 2013
- Univision TV August 28, 2014
- Austin American Statesman / Ahora Si September 27, 2014
- KXAN January 29, 2015