- Program Search
- Adult Sports & Youth Sports
- Adventure Guides
- Afterschool Care
- Child Care & Early Learning
- Dance Classes
- Health & Wellness
- Lifeguard Certification
- Martial Arts
- Personal Training
- Senior Programs
- Swimming - Aquatics for Adults
- Swimming - Aquatics for Youth
- Teen Programs
- Triathlon Training
- Youth Programs
- About Us
Mind, Exercise, Nutrition, Do It! (MEND)
- A healthy family is a happier family.
- Healthy kids perform better in school.
- Healthy meals fuel a healthy and productive life.
- More energy, more confidence -- these are the freedoms good health brings.
THE PROGRAM - next session April 6 or 13 (register today)
Join us for MEND, a FREE childhood obesity intervention program for children, ages 7-13, and their parents. Gain energy and confidence while learning how healthy meals fuel a healthy and productive life.
The YMCA of Austin is the first YMCA in the country to partner with MEND (Mind, Exercise, Nutrition, Do It! in offering a childhood obesity intervention program for children and their parents.
Through generous grants from St. David's Foundation, the YMCA will be offering programs over the next year at seven different locations, including YMCA of Austin and community locations. Each program lasts 10 weeks and meets twice per week, typically a weekday evening and Saturday morning. Parents must attend with their child.
MEND combines three key elements of safe, effective weight management and sustained lifestyle change: healthy eating, regular physical activity, and behavior change. Children and families who attend the MEND Program learn important skills and knowledge to help them manage their weight and feel fitter, healthier, and happier for the rest of their lives.
Children must be ages 7-13, overweight or obese, and may not be suffering from diabetes or debilitating asthma. Physician consent must be granted before program participation. One parent must be able to participate with their child in each session. Call Missy (contact info) below to enroll. Take the first step as a family and begin learning how to lead a healthy lifestyle!
* New session begins April 6 and April 13. Register today! Call 512-236-9622 or email Missy Quintela.*
April 2013 locations:
- Galindo Elementary (map) (Spanish)
- Del Valle Elementary (Del Valle ISD) (map) (Spanish)
- Pillow Elementary (map) (English & Spanish)
- Science Hall Elementary in Hays County (map)
- UT Elementary (map)
- TownLake YMCA (map) (Spanish)
- Be a MEND Food Detective
- 10 Tips for a Happy, Healthy, Active Family
- MEND Survival Guide for Parties & Eating Out
- News 8 Austin December 12, 2009
- Austin American Statesman September 24, 2010
- Univision Radio (espanol) December 18, 2011
- KEYE TV October 2, 2012
- Univision October 18, 2012
- KAZI April 9, 2013