- Program Search
- Adventure Guides
- Afterschool Care
- Child Care & Early Learning
- Dance Classes
- Health & Wellness
- Senior Programs
- Teen Programs
- Triathlon Training
- Youth Programs
- About Us
Lifeguard Training & Certification
NEW Classes starting soon! Register Now!
East Communities Y classes:
April 21-May 3; May 5-11; May 17/18/24/25; June 6-8
Northwest Y classes:
April 24-27; May 22-25
North Austin Y classes:
April 22/24/25/29/May1/May2; May 13/15/16/20/22/23; June 6-8
Southwest Y classes:
May 9-11; May 16-18; June 9-13; June 23-27; July 7-11; July 21-25; Aug 11-15
Springs Y classes:
May 16-18; June 9-11; June 27-29; July 11-13 - all blended learning courses
Register with red button on right!
Build a skill. Save a life.
Whether you are looking for a great summer job or career as a professional lifeguard, the YMCA of Austin Lifeguard program is the place to begin! Through classroom activities, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn the skills you need to work as a lifeguard.
Our comprehensive Lifeguard Training course includes accident prevention, lifeguarding techniques, emergency systems, and rescue skills. Course will also include CPR for the professional Rescuer with AED, Oxygen Administration and First Aid.
Upon successful completion of the course the participant will be certified in:
- YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguarding
- American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
- American Red Cross Basic First Aid and Oxygen Administration
- Must be at least age 15 for ARC certification / 16 for YMCA certification
- Swim continuously the 300-yd lifeguard medley ARC certification / 500-yd for YMCA
- Tread water for 2 minutes using legs only
- Feet-first surface dive to 9 feet and return to the surface of the pool
- Pick up a 10-pound brick off the bottom of the pool and swim 25 yards
- Swim underwater for a distance of 15 feet
To receive Lifeguard Certification a participant must:
- Attend 100% of all class sessions
- Arrive on time for all class sessions
- Participate 100% in all class sessions
- Pass written and skills test
- Demonstrate maturity, respect and responsibility regardless of passing written and skill test
- Candidates unable to perform all the skills necessary to receive certification by the last day of the class will be granted a conditional certification. It is up to the student to schedule a retest with the instructor within 30 days.
- Certification confirmation documents will be sent to participant 4-6wks post-course completion.
Locations & Contacts
Hays Communities YMCA
Call 512-523-0099 or email email@example.com
Northwest Family YMCA
Call 512-335-9622 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Southwest Family YMCA
Call 512-891-9622 or email email@example.com
Springs Family YMCA
Call 512-894-3309 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
East Communities YMCA
North Austin YMCA
Call 512-973-9622 or email email@example.com
Town Lake YMCA